High Bridge Borough
SectionsHigh Bridge Borough Biography
About High Bridge Borough
Progressive country living defines life in High Bridge Borough, which is strategically located midway between New York City and Philadelphia. This charming town shares its borders with Lebanon and Clinton Townships. Situated in northern Hunterdon County, the 2.4-square mile borough is known for its community spirit and involved citizens.
One example of that civic-minded philosophy is the “I’m For High Bridge” group of volunteers, an organization whose members help out at town activities like the Easter egg hunt, Flag Day parade, High Bridge Expo, summertime Fun Fest, fireman’s carnivals, Halloween parade and visits with Santa Claus. Originally founded in 1978, the group also volunteers with townwide improvement projects and presents school awards to an eighth grade boy and girl who best demonstrate community service.
Scenery in High Bridge includes anglers trying their luck along the banks of the South Branch of the Raritan River, wide open spaces, rolling hillsides and a quaint Main Street shopping district. Incorporated as a township in 1871, the borough split from Clinton and Lebanon Townships to become independent in 1898. An abiding sense of history pervades High Bridge, which was named for the elevated bridge built by the Central Railroad of New Jersey spanning the river.Back to top
The Columbia Trail is an old rail trail using the same route as the former Central Railroad of New Jersey’s tracks. This flat seven-mile trail is maintained by Hunterdon County Parks and Recreation. It runs northeastward from the center of High Bridge at the junction of Main and Church Streets, heading toward Califon and through the scenic beauty of the Ken Lockwood Gorge. Hikers, bikers and bird watchers frequent the Columbia Trail all year long.
Union Forge Park is the borough’s main public park, located across the river from the site of the former Taylor-Wharton Iron and Steel Company. Another park is the Borough Commons situated at the beginning of the Columbia Trail. A grant received by the Union Forge Heritage Association in 2008 was used to create the Taylor Steelworkers Historical Greenway, which measures a little over five miles around the borough, starting at Columbia Trail and connecting the borough’s parks and historic sites.
The High Bridge Hills Golf Club is a par 71 course designed in the British tradition by Mark Mungeam in 2000. The course is certified as a Cooperative Sanctuary by Audubon International. Located at 203 Cregar Road near Route 31, facilities include a clubhouse, golf shop and on-site dining at the High Bridge Hills Grille. High Bridge residents are given priority tee times and competitive membership rates.Back to top